Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Snow


One of the nice things about getting bigger is that this XXXL fleece jacket that Jenny bought me a few years ago now fits perfectly. It is thick, cozy, and probably the only jacket I have with a surplus of sleeve - the rest of them land about 3 inches shy of my wrist. It worked out well today because we got SNOW in Texas this morning!!!

Granted, it was only about half an inch and was gone by 10 AM, but still, snow.

(Later that day)

I'm sprawled on the floor of one of the conference rooms in our building with a beige telephone receiver to my ear. (I remembered my jacket today but forgot my cell phone again.) With my free hand I'm swinging the cord and imagining nun chucks. I feel like a teenager, lying on the floor and talking to a girl on a corded phone. Not sure what the opposite would be of cordless - cordful? cordy? corder?

The girl on the other end of the phone happens to be my 2-year-old daughter, Abbi. She is telling me about playing Play-Doh and, honestly, it makes me a little hungry. My grandma used to make edible Play-Doh out of peanut butter and flour.

I can hear Emma in the background saying that she doesn't really feel like talking to me right now, but she changes her mind before I hang up with Jenny.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask her when she gets on the phone.

"No," she says.

"Oh, I thought maybe you were upset with me and that's why you didn't feel like talking to me."

"Well, I am a little upset with you because you're at work."

And then, after a slight pause she says, "But sometimes I do like it when you go to work because you bring me treats."

So, here I am, close to the end of my shift wrapping fun-size bags of Teddy Grahams in the Foreign Bonds section of my free copy of The Wall Street Journal. Being a Stock Broker is really starting to pay off.

1 comment:

  1. I love that play dough made you hungry. Pretty much anything makes me hungry. Its one of my greatest talents. I'm constantly hungry.

    ReplyDelete