Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Big Papa Koontz


I'm still working on reading every book ever published by Dean Koontz. As a writer he is an inspiration. I wasn't crazy about his last book, "Your Heart Belongs To Me". It wasn't bad, but it seemed like he'd been intrigued enough by an idea to write the book, but not enough to get truly invested into it.

But the book I'm reading now, "Breathless", is amazing. I love how he sprinkles these gem-like paragraphs into his books. Anyone who still wants to wrongfully classify him as a horror writer should read the following and tell me he doesn't have profound wisdom to offer:

"Each man or woman was a mansion in a condition between grandness and disrepair, and even in a grand palace, sometimes a room existed in which no one but the resident would ever be welcome. Cammy's heart contained more than one forbidden room, contained an entire wing of doors locked with bolts of guilt or grief, or both. Grady sensed that she denied ever herself the power to open them, to let in the light."


1 comment:

  1. I love a good book. I haven't ever read his. I think the last book that I read that I really loved was Belong To Me... Kinda girly though.. but she's poetic with her words. If I could think of her name I would tell you.

    ReplyDelete