Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's Not You, It's Me


A few weeks ago I wrote a blog in the form of a letter -- a semi-serious apology, alluding to my history with Utah as a rocky, complicated relationship. During the last year I have learned so much about myself, most importantly - how to feel whole and okay with who I really am; finding the line between complacency and dissatisfaction; trying to trust my intuition while at the same time constantly reminding myself how much I have left to learn and how little I really know.

I'd hoped that coming to terms with my own ignorance would make me a more accepting and open individual. I have tried to embrace the occasions when someone else can teach me something new and admit when I'm wrong - though I'm not sure how well I've accomplished that task.

In many aspects of my life, this has worked very well. I do feel that I have learned to be more accepting and gregarious than ever. I've tried to stand my ground when I feel strongly about something while at the same time keeping both sides of an argument in mind.

But, during the last year I have also been called "opinionated, manipulative," and (sarcastically) "always right." That last one was actually written in marker on my back during a party... another story.

I'm sure there was some truth to those statements, as much as I hate the idea of being that guy. I've enjoyed some very engaging discussions with friends and family during the last year. I really want to thank them for that. Probably because of more fault of mine than anyone else’s, many of those have turned into debates or even heated arguments.

Much of the pain of our separation from Mormonism has subsided. The book I wrote about the process has collected dust for months and I haven't thought much about it. It has actually felt very good to move on.

However, today I've been going through my blog and reading many of the posts from the last year. Last night my wonderful cousin Melissa told me that I was "Irreverently and inappropriately funny." I considered it a compliment because I think she meant it that way, but at the same time it carried a small sting because it made me wonder if I've been offending other people. I figure the chances are pretty high.

While reading my blogs in chronological order I can see that my writing has become noticeably more jaded and outspoken. I'm worried that I've gone too far and lost any sliver of respect my Mormon family and friends may have still had for me. If that is the case, I want to sincerely apologize.

Getting out the "bubble" has been a journey. I've loved learning so much about the way other people live, love and worship. I've tried so hard to understand the cultures, lifestyles and religions outside of the Utah I grew up in. The world out there really is so different; it's easy to notice with even just a glimpse.

Throughout this process I have worked hard to give more respect to other belief systems. I've made an effort to extend a tolerance I didn't allow myself before. In doing so, however, I feel that I've become MORE intolerant of Mormonism within Utah. That isn't right or fair.

I don't know if I will ever again be able to experience certainty in spiritual matters. In the movie "Doubt" I heard a line from Phillip Seymour Hoffman that hit me like Catholic bible to the head, "Even if you feel certainty, it is an emotion, not a fact."

That is something that rings true to me but you might not feel the same, and I respect that. I applaud your obedience and faithfulness, even if I've decided to try adopting a more Buddhist or Secular Humanist approach to morality. I could be wrong.

So, even though I will strive to be honest in my writing and speak my mind regardless of the audience, I may still need help from loved ones - keeping me in check to help minimize the number of them that I offend. I think everyone needs to find that line, right? I sure could learn a lesson or two about erring on the side of caution.

I love you guys. I'm sorry if I've said or written anything that has left you feeling personally attacked. I promise that wasn't my intention.

3 comments:

  1. Good gravy Dan, I hope you know I was mostly kidding. (mostly). haha. I'm kidding again.
    maybe.

    Actually I'm pretty mad at you.

    ha ha kidding again. (hilarious, I know.)

    Blogging is risky business, and when you put yourself out there (in any way), you risk having someone choose to be offended by it. But really, that's their problem.

    I mean, I do think it's important to be considerate and it's nice of you that you care about your audience. But I also think it's important to try and be honest with where you are.

    Heck, I don't know, except just keep it up. And I love you Cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know... To each his own. That is my belief. I lived in Utah my whole entire life & was never truly active, unless forced. I wasn't that ideal mormon girl. it wasn't until I got a huge wake up call & had to spend my mornings waking up in PA. That I learned a new appreciation for mormons... only mormons outside of Utah. Utah is a giant high school click in and of itself. there is something to be said about the judging and the belittling that mormons in utah *some* place on other people. Granted there are amazing human beings that are indeed mormon *like me* jk... but we have a freedom of religion for a reason. we have freedom of speech for a reason. and other peoples thoughts are simply those.. other peoples. Utah is not my favorite place in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan-
    I have been following your blog for a while, and you know I think you are great! You just need to be you, and the people who know you and love you will understand and keep loving you. If they can't handle the heat they can get out of the kitchen. If people do get offended then they can choose to not read your blog. They can instead follow the one that Jenny writes. I also grew up in Utah, and I have to say at the age of 27 I still feel left out at church sometimes. It's just one of those things that people in Utah (not all) miss the mark when it comes to being Christlike.

    ReplyDelete