Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Mmmmmmm, cheese!"


Jenny and I have done a much better job of limiting the amount of TV the girls watch. They usually get a show in the morning and one at night. Emma gets to watch a few shows and read books during her "quiet time" while Abbi is napping.

The winter months are difficult, however. Additionally, in our current living situation, it is very hard to keep the girls quiet while Daxton is napping if they're not engrossed in Dora or Mickey Mouse.

With my work schedule Jenny and I have not been getting enough sleep. The mornings we can both wake up with the girls and have breakfast before 8 AM are wonderful because they give us more time to enjoy each other's company before I have to be out the door for another 12-hour shift. Working 10 to 10 only feels good when I'm looking at my paycheck. Aside from that minute or two of excitement, it blows.

I would love to spend every free moment creating lasting memories with my daughters. If I could we would always be learning valuable lessons together, bounding through meadows and expanding our minds. But, the reality of life is that sometimes you just want to be able to all pile into bed together and cuddle and doze while Nick Jr. does the entertaining.

As much as I love getting drawn into the storylines myself, I have been trying to use that time to read. Lately Abbi has discovered that my back makes a suitable lounger when I am lying on my stomach. She stretches out and plants her little head between my shoulder blades. I stare at my book and pretend I'm not listening to Handy Manny's building tips.

Today Jenny brought the camera into the bedroom and started snapping photos of Abbi on my back. Abbi kept saying, "CHEESE!! CHEESE!! CHEESE!!" the way she normally does when someone is taking pictures.

I guess she was hungry because after a second she said, "Mmmmmmmm, cheese. I want some cheese!"
It was adorable.
Oh, yeah, and before I left for work... I brought her some cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment