Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rough Week (WARNING: Contains venting language)


Did I mention before that we aren't moving again for at least two years? After last week, my conviction has been solidified. We felt so bad for making other people help haul our junk (especially Todd and Becky) that this time we really tried to do as much as possible by ourselves. You never really appreciate (or despise) how much crap you've collected over the years until you try to move it by yourself. Though, I am certain that Todd and Becky still ended up carrying much more than we would have hoped.

I included the picture above in hopes of mocking my own current misery. I have always been afflicted with cold sores. I got them as a kid; I had one during our wedding reception; it's just part of my life.

Normally, I get hit with one, chop off the top, soak it in alcohol, and wait for the wound to heal. I know that they can be induced by sickness and chapped lips, but in my case they are usually a stress indicator.

I have never gotten more than two cold sores at once, until now. I have also moved plenty of times without one of the nasty little bastards rearing its ugly face. But today as I write this, I have counted six. That staggering number includes the one that decided the "No Vacancy" sign was up on my lips and decided to camp out under a nostril - a new experience for me... and yes, as painful as it sounds.

Other factors (okay, very BIG factors) can be held responsible for the lower-face agony. Why don't we just say that recent drama within immediate family circles has peaked stress levels to previously unexplored altitudes. It is difficult to be told by a very close family member that you are "a pathetic excuse for a human being." Especially difficult when you didn't know that particular family member was even mad at you.

Oh well, what can we do right? Sometimes we are the last ones to learn that the verdict is in and no further testimonies will be admissible. Those situations can come with an extra helping of "WTF!" when you are blindsided with the news that you were the one on trial.

Bright side? Maybe. Prescription strength stress like this appears to be more effective than gym time. I stepped on the scale this morning and found that I weigh 20 pounds less than I did this time last week. I suppose food is less appealing when your mouth feels like somebody beat the hell out of it with an infected baseball bat.

As the dust settles, I am once again flooded with gratitude for my own family unit. My beautiful, happy, healthy and drama-free girls make home a haven. Jenny, Emma and Abbi are a portable "Safe Zone" where I can always run while crying, "Time Out!! No Touchies!!"

I don't know, it almost makes me grateful for the times when the rest of life seems to be crumbling around you and the world outside your door seems knee-deep in shit. Nothing else is quite as effective in reminding you how much there is to be thankful for within your own walls.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan, it's Heather (Scott's wife). I just have to empathize with you! Reading your story made me relive my first herpes experience! Scott gave me a cold sore when we were first dating, and it exploded into 28 canker sores in my mouth (the dr. counted.) I lost 9 pounds that week and have gotten cold sores since! The dr. puts me on valtrex- so i have to go pick up genital herpes medicine at the pharmacy!

    Scott and I both had ones in our noses on our wedding day- they really do hurt so bad.

    Hope you heal soon! I can't believe you lost 2o pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan I'm so sorry. What a dumb thing to say -I mean, what does that phrase even mean? As opposed to a Commendable or Good or Noteworthy EXCUSE for a human being?

    Humans are fallible, and I hope whoever said that realizes they just made a rotten, lousy, dumb, human mistake in saying what they said to you. And they are sooooo wrong.

    You are awesome. And I'm glad you have a little family in your corner to remind you, you deserve it!

    HOpe your mouth has healed up by now! Miserable.

    ReplyDelete