Wednesday, October 22, 2008

You made your wife cry, you big jerk!


The post below was one of those I didn't plan on publishing. I know, I know, with all the crap I post it's difficult to believe I pull the reins back on any of 'em.

I decided to post it because it touched on the new book project and I wanted to make my goal public. I guess that way I will be more inclined to follow-through.

It didn't take long for me to realize that fiction writing is a completely different ballgame. I had never tried it before because I thought my written stories would be comparable to the weak-plotted bedtime stories I tell the girls. They seem to always involve two princesses having picnics with animals - that's all I got.

To my surprise and delight, I found that fiction writing isn't telling a story as much as hearing a story for a first time. You pick a setting, get a rough idea for a character, ready your pen and "watch" what they do.

I always thought you needed the outline of a plot in your head to tell one. I would have never guessed that, as the writer, you could be caught off guard by the direction of your story.

The relationship with your characters is also a unique experience. You are creating them out of thin air and yet they begin to mean something to you on a personal level. Before you know it, they start acting things out on their own. It sounds schizophrenic, I know. But it's true.

As usual, Jenny is the helpless guinea pig in my writing lab. Day by day I bombard her with chapters and watch her reaction. Will her response be a positive one or will she break out in a nasty rash? I don't know.

Well, yesterday I injected her with a couple of chapters detailing a decisive turn for a key player in the story. Zeke is a supporting character that I've grown to like much more than my "main" character. This kid was supposed to come home after a fight and be shocked to learn that he wasn't in trouble. Instead, he came home to discover a "party" in honor of his fight - or what his fight represented.

I got an email back from her a while later that read:

Wow babe. You made me cry!! It was really good and since I feel like I know Zeke I'm kind of a baby I guess. GOOD JOB!!!!

Ah, how she boosts my meager ego.

I wrote her back assuring her that I normally hate it when she cries, but this time... this time I kinda liked it. A non-existant individual, a figment of my imagination had felt real enough to her at that moment to generate real emotion.

I hadn't realized before that this should be the goal of any fiction writer. This is why we read. We want to be sucked into the story.

So, today I get to brag. Not only did I get somebody to cry by reading my story; I got somebody to cry by reading my story about a GOATSUCKER.


2 comments:

  1. This is so cool that you are doing this. Keep it up.

    My mom said once, that she feared that the book is dead. I refuse to believe it and I'm holding YOU to proving that concept wrong!

    (how's that for pressure!) ;)

    I would love to read whatever you wish to send my way. I'm not sure I could offer much in the way of advice, but I'd love a sneak peak just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your heading & I thought this was leading up to something else, this ending of Jen crying is better than what I was imagining. Dan you kill me, you're original & hiliarious. I love it! By the way I don't think theres anything wrong w/ two princesses having picnics with animals.

    ReplyDelete