Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Season For Decisions

The word "EVENTFUL" would be a gross understatement of the last six months. Let's see, (deep breath) I bought a second house, decided to leave Mormonism, started writing a book, left Mormonism, told my family, bought 35 acres in Wyoming, quit my job, bought a trailer, rented out the house, hauled my family to Wyoming to live in the trailer, wrote for a newspaper in Wyoming for half the pay, got sick of the trailer lifestyle, surrendered to reality, hauled everything back to Utah, started writing two other books, got my job back, finished the first book, sold the trailer, evicted our renters, joined a gym, started a blog, and started packing the few things we'd unpacked so we could carry all of our crap back into the house we'd just hauled it out of! (catch breath)

Normally, I avoid running sentences like that. In this case, a cleaner prose would take away from the frenzy of it all. Things are now finally slowing down. Any logical third party would think I was a lunatic for dragging my family all over the place. They would probably be right. I am almost half a million dollars in debt at age 26 and not sure what the next six months will bring.

If I had to do it all again, I would. I learned more in the last six months that I could have in as many semesters of college.

I loved Wyoming. I hate Utah. Everyone I love lives in Utah. What now?

After two heaping scoops of debates, a can of disgusting RULDS2? concentrate, an extra pinch of tolerance, and about a gallon of compromise; I hit "Liquefy" and stood back. Hesitantly - fingers clasped around a tall glass of Wyoming in case I needed to chase this Utah concoction with something sweet - I took a sip. Not my favorite, but drinkable. That extra pinch of tolerance really helps mask the flavor. I had to finally admit, the good in Utah outweighs the bad.

"No more moving for two years, at least! Agreed?" My wife and I shook on it.

So, here I am again. Living in Utah, shackled by a chain of friends and family, telling myself that it's "by choice."

When I walk through the grocery store, I will brace myself when approaching the home and office supply section. As I pass the display of "Stickers For Kids!" which includes gems such as "I Belong To The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints," I will bite my knuckle, avert my eyes, and urge the squeaky cart onward.

Was I tempted to buy up the entire rack, find out who is cashing in on them, cover their car with these "labels" and follow it with clear deck varnish? Yes, I admit I was. But I resist.

I will coexist. Let them profit from a near-monopolized society. My bitterness toward their greed has dissipated greatly since I separated myself from their target demographic. These days, I just have to chuckle a sad chuckle and hope the best for the poor souls who have to go through life knowing they spent money on that.

Utah, you are truly a strange medley of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment