Friday, February 5, 2010

The Root (of the) Problem


Laying down roots...

People talk about that. It's a novel concept, something that Jenny and I have been striving for during our entire relationship. Every time I hear about it I imagine something like the picture above. Something sturdy, wooden, locked into place.

Lately I'm realizing that, as a family, we are much more like a wad of gum than a majestic oak.

It seems like we pick ourselves up in hopes of setting down roots like those, when instead, by the act of moving, we leave trailing strands behind.



For both of us, the majority of our strands stay planted in Davis County Utah. That is the truth - like it or not. We've left behind varying-sized strands in Florida, Indiana, Wyoming, and now, Texas.

Like gum, these strands may weaken over time. They may become brittle and even break. Unlike gum, however, setting down these points of contact has not diminished our "wad" as a whole. (Probably the UGLIEST word I've ever used in comparison to my adorable family.)

Like the majestic oak, even gum can become a hardened and permanent fixture given enough time.
And I so look forward to becoming a stagnant piece of gum.


No comments:

Post a Comment